Translation of the meanings of surah Al-Muminoon (1)
(1) (1) Certainly will the believers have succeeded:
(2) (2) They who are during their prayer humbly intent
(3) (3) And they who turn away from ill speech
(4) (4) And they who are observant of zakāh
(5) (5) And they who guard their private parts
(6) (6) Except from their wives or those their right hands possess, for indeed, they will not be blamed -
- Female slaves or captives under their ownership.
(7) (7) But whoever seeks beyond that, then those are the transgressors -
(8) (8) And they who are to their trusts and their promises attentive
(9) (9) And they who carefully maintain their prayers -
(10) (10) Those are the inheritors
(11) (11) Who will inherit al-Firdaus. They will abide therein eternally.
- The highest part of Paradise.
(12) (12) And certainly did We create man from an extract of clay.
(13) (13) Then We placed him as a sperm-drop in a firm lodging [i.e., the womb].
- Or "as a zygote."
(14) (14) Then We made the sperm-drop into a clinging clot, and We made the clot into a lump [of flesh], and We made [from] the lump, bones, and We covered the bones with flesh; then We developed him into another creation. So blessed is Allāh, the best of creators.
- i.e., the most skillful and only true Creator.
(15) (15) Then indeed, after that you are to die.
(16) ((16 Then indeed you, on the Day of Resurrection, will be resurrected.
(17) (17) And We have created above you seven layered heavens, and never have We been of [Our] creation unaware.
(18) (18) And We have sent down rain from the sky in a measured amount and settled it in the earth. And indeed, We are Able to take it away.
(19) (19) And We brought forth for you thereby gardens of palm trees and grapevines in which for you are abundant fruits and from which you eat.
(20) (20) And [We brought forth] a tree issuing from Mount Sinai which produces oil and food [i.e., olives] for those who eat.
(21) (21) And indeed, for you in livestock is a lesson. We give you drink from that which is in their bellies, and for you in them are numerous benefits, and from them you eat.
(22) (22) And upon them and on ships you are carried.
(23) (23) And We had certainly sent Noah to his people, and he said, "O my people, worship Allāh; you have no deity other than Him; then will you not fear Him?"
(24) (24) But the eminent among those who disbelieved from his people said, "This is not but a man like yourselves who wishes to take precedence over you; and if Allāh had willed [to send a messenger], He would have sent down angels. We have not heard of this among our forefathers.
(25) (25) He is not but a man possessed with madness, so wait concerning him for a time."
(26) (26) [Noah] said, "My Lord, support me because they have denied me."
(27) (27) So We inspired to him, "Construct the ship under Our observation and Our inspiration, and when Our command comes and the oven overflows, put into it [i.e., the ship] from each [creature] two mates and your family, except him for whom the decree [of destruction] has proceeded. And do not address Me concerning those who have wronged; indeed, they are to be drowned.
- See footnote to 11:40.
(28) (28) And when you have boarded the ship, you and those with you, then say, 'Praise to Allāh who has saved us from the wrongdoing people.'
(29) (29) And say, 'My Lord, let me land at a blessed landing place, and You are the best to accommodate [us].'"
(30) (30) Indeed in that are signs, and indeed, We are ever testing [Our servants].
(31) (31) Then We produced after them a generation of others.
(32) (32) And We sent among them a messenger from themselves, [saying], "Worship Allāh; you have no deity other than Him; then will you not fear Him?"
- Prophet Hūd, who was sent to the tribe of ʿAad.
(33) (33) And the eminent among his people who disbelieved and denied the meeting of the Hereafter while We had given them luxury in the worldly life said, "This is not but a man like yourselves. He eats of that from which you eat and drinks of what you drink.
(34) (34) And if you should obey a man like yourselves, indeed, you would then be losers.
(35) (35) Does he promise you that when you have died and become dust and bones that you will be brought forth [once more]?
(36) (36) How far, how far, is that which you are promised.
- i.e., how distant and improbable it is.
(37) (37) It [i.e., life] is not but our worldly life - we die and live, but we will not be resurrected.
(38) (38) He is not but a man who has invented a lie about Allāh, and we will not believe him."
(39) (39) He said, "My Lord, support me because they have denied me."
(40) (40) [Allāh] said, "After a little, they will surely become regretful."
(41) (41) So the shriek seized them in truth, and We made them as [plant] stubble. Then away with the wrongdoing people.
- See footnote to 11:67. - i.e., by right or in justice.
(42) (42) Then We produced after them other generations.
(43) (43) No nation will precede its time [of termination], nor will they remain [thereafter].
(44) (44) Then We sent Our messengers in succession. Every time there came to a nation its messenger, they denied him, so We made them follow one another [to destruction], and We made them narrations. So away with a people who do not believe.
- i.e., history or lessons for mankind.
(45) (45) Then We sent Moses and his brother Aaron with Our signs and a clear authority
- i.e., evidences from Allāh.
(46) (46) To Pharaoh and his establishment, but they were arrogant and were a haughty people.
(47) (47) They said, "Should we believe two men like ourselves while their people are for us in servitude?"
(48) (48) So they denied them and were of those destroyed.
(49) (49) And We certainly gave Moses the Scripture that perhaps they would be guided.
- The Children of Israel.
(50) (50) And We made the son of Mary and his mother a sign and sheltered them within a high ground having level [areas] and flowing water.